Saturday, July 01, 2006

Thank you to everyone who commented on the last post. I have made French apple sausage with lemon pepper and maple syrup, and I have also sprinkled gingersnaps over canned Boston baked beans. 'Twas a swell idea.

I am not a foodie or an asshole or gay. When I make cool food, it's for the same reason I make cool phrases: I just like how it all sounds.

And some of it even tastes good, so that's nice.

Here are books I have recently finished and giggled or cried at:

Nice People Dancing to Country Music - Lee Blessing (play)
Carol Bly - Backbone (stories)
Emile Zola - The Attack on the Mill (stories)
Bill Berkson - Lush Life (poetry)
And They Put Handcuffs on the Flowers - Fernando Arrabal (play)
Visigoth - Gary Amdahl (stories)

You really should read those, at least the Bly, Zola and Arrabal.

At least the Zola.

For class, I reread Carl Sandburg's Chicago poems and found them swelled with grit and still reminiscent of Bruce Springsteen. Kasey Mohammad made me say why they reminded me of Springsteen, which I'm sure he regretted upon seeing the size of my reply.

Okay, uncle. There is not much I don't enjoy. I'm not really enjoying The Cantos. But I'm not supposed to, so okay.

Fuck you too, Ezra. Fuck you too.

In the comment section, please put something you've read and enjoyed, and please fill in the blank: "Fuck you too, _____. Fuck you too."

Thank you.

I love you.

P.S. Also: listen first to Barbara Jane Reyes's "Lullaby in SoMa for Paloma" and "Going Outside to Find the Sky." Then listen to Tyehimba Jess's 1912: blind lemon jefferson explaining to ledbelly.

P.P.S. Fizzpo is dead. The following people wrote Fizzpo: Alex, Jessica, Bryan, Angela and Randy. Angela actually cracked the rules and wrote rule-oriented fizzpo with insane precision. Then everyone stopped, which led to Fizzpo's death. If anyone else wants to say they wrote Fizzpo, they're probably lame and in need of a bath. But everyone is now welcome to write Post-fizzpo. We are currently talking to Norton about releasing a Fizzpo anthology. It will arrive in Smuukentember of 214523523.

P.P.P.S Fizzpo is not dead. I just got word. Everyone now who writes fizzpo is actually writing Second Generation fizzpo, which is no way a disgrace. If you now wish to write Fizzpo, please indiciate whether you are writing Post-fizzpo or Second Generation Fizzpo. If you don't, God will secretly eat you. It will be a secret because God will be in his Costume of Secrets, which somewhat resembles a crescent wrench.

5 comments:

Bryan Coffelt said...

hahaha

A.S. Galvan said...

Much <3

(I feel like I have some sort of photon-based relationship with you but we've never actually 'talked'. I should wander over on my next day off and fix that)

I just read "All Hail the New Puritans" which is a short story collection written by a bunch of young British authors.

I'll write more fizzpo but only if I can be 'post'. Second generation gets all uppity and whatnot.

Fuck you financial aid, fuck you too!

Mike Young said...

I looked up "All Hail the New Puritans." An interesting project, for sure. I know so little about modern British authors outside of underground larkers like H.P Tinker and the dead punk Kathy Acker, or blowhards like Martin Amis.

Yes, come to the open-mic! We will write manifestos.

P.S. We probably won't write manifestos.

P.P.S. Bryan, you didn't follow the rules. Please fuck a lime.

A.S. Galvan said...

It's hard to write under their guidelines sometimes, but I understand why they picked them. I have no context for literary movements, just historical ones.

Maybe there was a need to strip fiction of its garnishes and make it more simple at the time? I think there still is.

//

One of the most bizzare expressions I have heard connected with literature (oh the fun of being an outsider!) is 'post 9/11' anything. The final government committee report, which I've read, cites the cause of 9/11 as a 'failure of imagination', so a part of me wonders what this would imply about some kinds of poetics.

Bleh, off to sleep. :)

Bryan Coffelt said...

mike:

nope.

-bryan